Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Orange Pomander Ball Ornament Tutorial

I know this is a little early. But I thought I would share on how I make my pomander ornaments with you all. It's pretty easy. And I think anyone can do this. So, let's begin!

What you will need:
  • A bag of artifical oranges. Or any type of artifical orange of your choice.
  • Cloves.
  • Brown Shoe Polish
  • Drill and Small Drill bit
  • Clear Nail Polish
  • Eyelets
  • String



*I just want to add that these oranges didn't come with eyelets in them. I didn't take a picture of them before I ripped open the bag and started on them. Ooops!*


First, I purchased a bag of  artifical oranges from HL. They came in different sizes and I liked that because I didn't want them all to be the same size on my tree. But you can purchase oranges anywhere and whatever size you would like. I have a smaller tree that I put these on so I went with a smaller orange.

*If you notice I rubbed the brown shoe polish all over then wiped it off leaving alot of it in the crannies.*
Second, I rubbed brown shoe polish all over them. I made sure to get it in the nooks and crannies. It doesn't have to be completely brown. You just want it to look old and dry. Then let dry overnight.
*I couldn't get a very clear picture of the hole. It is directly under the eyelet.*

Third, I took my drill with a small bit and made holes in the orange. This is extremely helpful when you want to put the cloves in. If not you will end up braking them trying to push them in. I went with a drill bit that was smaller then the clove itself. I did this so I would not have to use glue to keep them in. But if you want to really secure them in place, go ahead and dip them in glue before you push into the orange. I didn't draw a pattern on my orange for my cloves. I just freehanded the drilling. But if you need reference you can use my pictures of my ornaments as your guide.

Fourth, After I finished pushing all my cloves into the orange I took my clear nail polish and brushed it onto each clove. I noticed that if I slightly touched the bud it would fall apart. So, to prevent this I brushed clear nail polish on them to keep them intact.

*Style A*
Lastly I took my small eyelet and pushed it in the top of my orange. You can do this in the begining if you like also. Once it is in place take your string and thread it through. And you're done! You now have a orange pomander for your tree. And it will last for years to come!
*Style B*
*Style C*


*Style D*





I hope you enjoy this tutorial and have fun making your pomaders.

~Prim Blessings~


*I also want to add that you can also use these as bowl fillers too!*





Creative Commons License

4 comments:

Holli~Where The Rooster Crows said...

Great idea Gen....can you still smell the cloves with the nail polish on them?

oldepearprimitives said...

Hi Holli! Actually you still can. I didn't think I would as I was doing them. But after the nail polish dried I could still smell them. They were not as strong but I could still smell them some what.

A Primitive Homestead said...

It is never to early to make ornaments for the Christmas tree in my book. Thanks!

Firecracker Kid said...

Hi Gen! Excellent tutorial:) Love these. I'll have to give them a try.
Thanks for entering my giveaway and good luck to ya!
Hugs~Carol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...